Telling stories from coding, Scratch combines Art and Science Education

Reading Papet's Gears of My Childhood is inspiring, in the way of knowing that toys, instructional objects and in this new age, digital games, apps or simply a webpage, would have that profound effect in developing children's mental models and cognitive structure.

Then Scratch, the most popular coding tool designed for kids, should play a rather important role in education, since it helps users develop cognitive models in both logical and artistic aspects. In scratch, you build your project by coding. If you want it to be interactive, selective and engaging, then you need to learn about loop control and logistic. While to make your project appealing, you also need to be good at drawing, graphic designing or at least has a good taste to download nice pictures and characters as resources. Combining both logistical and artistic skills, you should be a good storyteller and then Scratch will satisfy your creating passion in every way.

As for me, with very limited time to explore all the functions of Scratch, or to create my own characters and scenes elaborately, I still managed to create a simple digital story about mass media and my childhood.


In this page, audience has three objects to click and each will trigger different contents. To make all these objects(sprites, in Scratch) hide and show at the proper timing, you need to use a function called broadcast all the time. And through this project, I talked about how different media helped me grow up with the knowledge, mindset, taste and hobby as I have right now. You can experience this rough project here, and do leave your comments here or there.

Under the "Story" category on Scratch website, I found this fabulous game called I'm sorry. It is an elaborately designed adventure game and does well in settings, music and especially the story part. Playing it is like reading a mystery novel since you are so curious about why the character is keep saying "sorry". With each level you pass, the plot twists and story continues, hence you can't stop playing it.


I haven't passed all the levels and I'm super shocked at how content and complex a Scratch project can be. Just a quick peep at the scripts and you can see what I mean.


To summarize, to tell a story with Scratch, you need to work as a storyteller, designer and developer all at the same time. This kind of experience will help children a lot in growing comprehensive mindsets to solve problems.


Comments

Popular Posts